Monday, September 1, 2008

What is a Journalist?

So I watched Scorched last night. Scorched is a 90-minute tele-feature and multi-platform drama for the Nine Network and ninemsn set in a climate change ravaged Sydney in 2012 (http://channelnine.ninemsn.com.au/tvshow.aspx?sectionid=8922&sectionname=scorched).

It got me thinking about the first seminars, about what is a journalist?

One of the main characters (Rachel Carpani)
was a journalist and a lot of the show featured the journalism profession and there practices. They demonstrated her paying for a story, being bullied into taking a softer angle in an interview and doing anything to get the story. I thought it was somewhat a stereotypical view but at the same time there were some very real elements.

I was just wondering if anyone else watched it and what you thought about the shows portrayal of journalism and if you think it was accurate.

1 comment:

Sarah Snedden said...

Hey Kris

Unfortunately I didn't get to see that show, however I have also noticed after watching an episode of neighbours that journalist's roles presented on television are often very stereotypical. One of the characters on neighbours actually made the comment that 'freedom of information is a journalist's best friend, after a chequebook'. I found this to be a very limited view, as well as suggesting that journalists are unethical. While I think Neighbours was attempting to show some of the ethical dilemmas that journalists face, the way they were presented I don't think presents an accurate representation of the journalism industry.